Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Welcome to the Trax (or as I like to call it, the 7th circle of Hell)


Yesterday I had to catch a 5:45 trax train to get to my car. I usually ride it down a little bit earlier to avoid the rush, but I got out a little late. I get on the last car and the stench hits me . . . tobacco and B.O. that I can actually taste. (think Pemmican Beef Jerky pulled from a chubby kid's armpits after gym class).

So I decide within like 5 seconds that at the next stop I'm going to get off and get back on the next car. The only trouble is that when I get onto the next car I get hit with urine vapors - that's right - the sweet smell of human pee. Not just a hint of it either, it's like the whole car has been washed down in the stuff.

There's one more stop to go so I decide to try my luck again at the next stop and go to the last car. At first everything smells OK, but then I get a wiff of some bozo getting on behind me who has just stepped in something fresh! Long story short, I will never ride the 5:45 again unless I am carrying a full can of Febreeze and wearing a nuclear waste suit. I got to experience a whole cornucopia of human stink - public transit is great. At least you know you can choose your stench of preference right?

6 comments:

Brent, Bethany, and Brooke said...

Hello Jake, Becca, and Lyndi! What a surprise to see a comment from you on my blog! I'm assuming you found me through Jordan's blog? Well it looks like you guys are doing well. Lyndi Mae is really darling. How is the first year of law school going for you Jake, and for Becca?

Michelle said...

I LOVED my years of taking the TRAX when I lived downtown, I really loved it. There was such a variety of people, like the man who always wore the slinky Indian outfits, the Mexicans who asked for my number, the handicapped man with the frighteningly realistically looking baby doll and the homeless man that would apply spray deodorant all over his body-ALL OVER. But really, I loved it. I wish I lived closer so I could take it now. Count your blessing Jake.

Barb said...

Yeah for blogging! So glad you guys joined the band wagon. =) I tried not to get sucked in as long as possible, but it's just a great way to keep in touch. We need to hang out sometime...we might even be moving down next May!

Anonymous said...

That's disgusting. Good Luck with that.

Anonymous said...

I always see the people getting on the bus and they just look so lonely/depressed...and some are just scary. I do admire their effort though to get up early to get to work or take a late bus and get home very late. I am glad we have one car and everything is pretty close to us.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I saw the guy with the fake baby - (I'm assuming it was the same guy since there probably aren't a lot of handicapped men carrying around fake babies in Salt Lake). I didn't get a good look at the baby's face, but the clothes were like real infant clothing and when I first saw him I thought, "Who would let that wacko hold their infant?!"

I'm still looking for the slinky indian outfits, homeless deodorant guy and the flirtatious mexicans though.

Photo Album